Match Review: SCC Firsts vs Hotspurs FC

17-Mar-2018 17:00

League // Dempsey Field
SCC Firsts
6 - 0
Hotspurs FC
Referee - Brad Sargent // Assistans - N/A & N/A
SCC Firsts


A win

A winning return for Manager Houlahan After several weeks away snowboarding, drinking and curling in Japan SCC Firsts Manager returned to take change of the game against the Hotspurs. After some impressive results in recent weeks Hotspurs were on the up and would not be underestimated. A pre-match team talk focused on a new system (4-4-2)….well it’s an old system but we haven’t played it in a while. Press hard, be composed and confident with the ball and be disciplined in defence. What an inspiration the team talk was as SCC Firsts were 1-0 up after less than 3 minutes. A mistake at the back by Hotspurs and a few swift passes found young Marcus Nagle with the simplest of tap-in’s. For the opening 20mins Hotspurs struggled to get out of their own half with great pressure play by the SCC attacking 6 and being well marshalled by Anthony Garreau in defence. Shotton scored on his return to the starting 11 after an injury lay off and Duric bagged a first half brace in what turned out to be his last game for the SCC Firsts this season as he now heads the Melbourne FC (we all wish him the very best). Half-time 4-0 and we still had one of the most bizarre referring decisions of the season. After a collision between SCC’s Anthony Garreua and the Hotspurs striker, Anthony went then in obvious pain and holding his head. As players began to stop noticing the head injury some players called for the referee’s attention to holt the game and allow the player to receive the attention he needed. Surprisingly calling the attention of a head injury to the referee is now a “yellow card offense” as one card was brandished to the SCC player for doing just that. Shock did appear on all players and spectators faces. More words of wisdom at halftime and the fact that Dom Lane, having returned to the SCC Firsts, was having a stormer in centre midfield meant that SCC were confident they could continue as they did in the first half. Only 2 goals in the 2nd half, one of which was a world class freekick by Shotton meant the scoreline finished 6-0. A few injuries to Bowden, Nagle and Roberts were a slight downer on the day but wishing them all speedy recoveries. MOM: Shotton TOTD: Kike Jr


Yellow Cards
Double Yellow Cards
Red Cards
Man Of the Match
  • Liam Shotton
  • -
Man Of the Match (opponent)
  • -
  • -
Hotspurs FC


Tough One At SCC

Hotspurs were convincingly defeated on Saturday by an SCC side who are always strong, and who maintain their lead over Gaelic Lions in the two-horse title race. From a Hostpurs perspective the first half was one to forget- going into the break 4-0 down and giving ourselves a lot to prove. Thankfully we were much more organised and up for a battle after the break, and were pleased to get much more of a foothold in the game. Ultimately though, injury-ridden and slightly low on numbers- it was always going to be a tough last 20 at Dempsey, and SCC managed to grab another couple of goals before the end of the game- finishing up at 6-0. One to put behind us, and on to next week. Congratulations to SCC for a well-deserved victory.